Monday, October 12, 2009

Midterm Assignment

                               My Heritage is Influenced by........



                                            My Parents

Growing up in my household, my lifestyle was mixed.  My mom is Greek and my dad is Armenian, so I guess you can call me Armeek.  I was taught more about the Greek language, and at the age of 19 months, I was taken to Greece and I lived there until I was four years old.  I never really identified my self as Armenian until I was around eight years old.  My dad would tell me stories about his ancestors and his parents, and how they were hard working Armenians.  He told me about his siblings, who are now scattered in France, Lebanon, and Syria.  His brother came to visit us with his wife and children back in 2001.  My cousins taught me some Armenian, but eventually I forgot what they taught me.  They made me interested in the Armenian heritage at first.  In my household, Armenian food is a big part of our lives.  My mom barely cooks Greek food anymore because of my dad.  I'm surprised of my mom and how much she knows about the culture.  She was able to pick up on certain things when she was around my dads family, and she knows more Armenian than me!  Their the ones who encourage me to learn more.
     
                                             My Brothers


My brothers, where do I begin with them?  My brothers are not close to my age group.  My oldest brother, Sako, is 27 years old.  My middle brother, Vatche, is 24 years old.  I told you, not even close!  My brothers were enrolled in Armenian school.  They went to St.Stevens Elementary School in Watertown.  Me you ask, I went to Hosmer Elementary School.  My brothers were taught how to read, write, and speak Armenian.  I was taught how to say the months backwards.  Not so much Armenian was going on in my school.  As I got older, my brothers would try and teach me Armenian, and they would tell me stories about our grandpa, whom I never got to meet.  My brothers were the ones who helped me understand what was going on at parties we would go to, and of course, the people there were all Armenian.  Their the ones who told me to take Armenian as a language in high school.  They took it, so they thought it would be appropriate for me to take it as well.  They even promised to help me with my homework.  That was a lie! I do it all by myself, with some help from my dad.   

                                             My Friends


My friends play a big role on my influence in my Armenian heritage.  In the eighth grade, I would spend time with Ani and Meghri.  I had classes with them.  I'd sometimes hear them speaking Armenian, and I was fascinated by the language.  Eighth grade was when I realized how much I really wanted to learn Armenian.  When I heard Armenian is offered as a language in high school, I didn't have to think twice about it.  But because I was in Special Ed, my teachers thought it would be a bad idea to take a language.  I fought for it.  I wasn't going to have someone tell me I can't do something.  My friends even encouraged me to fight for it.  In the end, because of my high grades, my teacher signed off Armenian as my foreign language in high school.  I was ecstatic.  I was a bit nervous though because I didn't know any Armenian.  My friends promised to be there for me if I struggled and needed any help, and guess what, they kept that promise.  Now, I am determined to learn as much as I can.  On the first day of Armenian class this year, I remember Mr.McDermott telling me that if I can't understand what we are learning, I should drop out.  That is never going to happen.  I have no clue what is said when we have discussions, but because of that, should I drop out?  I think not!  I'm not a quitter.  I am determined to finish three years of the Armenian language.


7 comments:

  1. Awww this is so sweet! Keep it up Despina! ARMENIANS ARE NOT QUITTERS...and there's proof of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Despina :)
    Even though your brothers didn't keep their word, at least your dad's always there to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you know I will be always here for you if you need me. So no matter what don't you ever think about quitting even if I have to give up a whole night to help you I will. So keep up the Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much enjoyed reading this. Good post, Despina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work! I hope "we" will be speaking more Armenian in this class once Mrs. Seta returns. You have a natural writing ability that I encourage you to continue developing. You insight is interesting and funny. You also have an understand of how stories unfold, a truly essential skill.
    Your pictures were wonderful and added immensely to the explanation of your heritage.
    Ms. V

    Grade: A+

    ReplyDelete