Monday, October 12, 2009

Midterm Heritage Assignment






A heritage is something that is given to you from birth. Everyone has a unique heritage, especially me. I truly think i am the luckiest person to have such an amazing heritage one where my culture exceeds in all fields such as culture, art, religion, and much more. Part of my heritage was the language, it is a fun but challenging language. I would have to thank my parents of coarse for sending me to an all Armenian private school for eight years where i learned the language, the history and the culture of the Armenians. Learning all this it inspired me to go farther into my heritage and learn more about myself and my culture. I enlisted in an Armenian scouting activity at the age of 12 there i had so much fun being surrounded my friends and family just having a great time camping and doing activities. My parents also have told me to speak Armenian in the house so that i don't forget the language, they want me to speak Armenian because after i graduated i wasn't in an all Armenian school and there were others speaking English all the time and my parents feared i may forget the language and speak English. That is why i mostly speak Armenian in my household.
I love my heritage and it is a very vital part of my life because everything i do is part of my heritage it can affect my heritage positively or negatively. I try to affect it positively by helping the community and going to church and reading in Armenian too, but i also accidentally sometimes affect it negatively by speaking English with my parents. In elementary school my class and i took a trip to Armenia. This was one the most enjoyable times I've ever had and the best part was that i got to spend it with my family and friends for ten days, we went to restaurants and had real Armenian food we saw a play at the famous opera house and we traveled all the way from Yerevan to Shushi, it was a 12 hour bus ride but it was worth it i got to see Ararat and it was nothing like the paintings or pictures it was so big and light blue colored it was an unbelievable sight. I saw mountains and valleys. I also got to swim in the famous Sevan lake which was numbingly cold but none the less a beautiful lake.
This is why my heritage is so very important to me. And it should be just as important to many other Armenians. Others should have the same experience as i did, i don't think i would be happier with any other culture i know i belong here and this is where i will stay. I hope one day generations from now other Armenian children and teens can so all this and they will be proud of their heritage and where they come from i know i am. I consider myself the luckiest person to experience all this i feel like Ive improved my heritage and gone deeper into learning more about myself and my heritage.









6 comments:

  1. I remember 2 years ago I went back to Armenia and it was so much fun, I had the best time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to Armenia so badly!! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! My parents were scared that I would forget my native language when I moved here from Syria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Armenia was a great experience for me I enjoyed it very much mostly because I was with my friends and it was not just a boring old tour we stopped and had lots of fun by playing games we actually went to an army camp in Armenia and played against soldiers there. After we beat them 5-0 we played against children at-least 1 year younger than us and we lost 3-2 it was so much fun it was an experience ill never forget. I always say to myself if i could go again with the same people, I would say yes right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohanes you provided some wonderful examples from your childhood and the present. I especially love your description of your trip to Armenia in elementary school. I bet it is helpful that your parents speak the language at home!

    Overall you provided great detail, but there are many grammar problems that I will go over with you. You then to write the way you talk, which is something you'll have to work on in the future. Writing is hard work and takes a lot of practice. I look forward to helping you become a better writer because I think you have enormous potential and creativity.
    Ms. V
    Grade: B
    --Content was perfect, it was the grammar issues that brought the grade lower.

    ReplyDelete