Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Armenia, My Culture, My Life : Ani

My Biggest Influences to My Heritage



My Parents

Since I was born my parents had implanted my Armenian heritage into my mind and soul. As I grew up, they told me stories of my ancestors, taught me how to speak in my native tongue, sang Armenian songs and cooked Armenian food. By teaching me all these things about my culture they hoped I would always remember my heritage and take pride in sharing with with others.  And so I did, and still do today.



St. Stephen's Armenian Elementary School

When I was three years my parents enrolled me in St. Stephen's Armenian Elementary School, a private Armenian school on Nicols Ave in East Watertown, MA. It was there, from nursery 1 until 5th grade (the highest grade the school went up to) I experienced my first years of education. Everyday was a new experience for me as a child. I made friends who were just like me and their parents who were similar to mine that taught them all the same words and songs.

I realized how important it was for all of us to stick together as one culture. Although for the first few years of my life I had known a few things about being Armenian, it was at this school where I learned to read and write in Armenian. I also learned my necessary academic subjects, as well as Armenian religion and history. This school had been the basis for the rest of my life as an Armenian.


My First Visit to ARMENIA

Two summers ago was when everything came together for me as an Armenian. It was my first trip to my motherland. All my life I had dreamed of this trip, and finally it was here. I went with my parents and a group of people from my church (St. James in Watertown). Everything I had learned and been told all my life, everything that made me the person I am today had all come together. Actually being on the land and seeing the sights, hearing literally everyone around me speak MY language, it was the most amazing experience of my life and I will never forget it

6 comments:

  1. You are so lucky that you got a chance to go to Armenia and see the beauty there is. It's been a dream of mine so see where my ancestors came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about we all take a trip to Armenia. Cute dress. I'm going to steal it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good, Ani. I especially liked when you wrote about going to Armenia, and how it really culminated everything Armenian for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah we need a Armenian class trip to Armenia for fun not to do school stuff but either way we are going to learn things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very thoughtful and reflective, Ani. It is amazing what a trip to the "homeland" can do to a person's self identity. I felt the same way when I went to Israel. Like you, I also went to a school focused on my heritage. I learned to read and write Hebrew. I feel very connected to my Jewish heritage, but I also appreciate many different cultures and religions. That is why I take great delight in reading about your history.

    You had some minor grammar problems that I will go over with you. Otherwise, it was well written and I love the photos.
    A-

    ReplyDelete