Monday, January 4, 2010

An Armenian Christmas


Over winter vacation I celebrated Christmas with my family. My mother's side of the family came to my house for dinner and to open presents. My parents worked very hard on making all the food we ate from scratch, including bureg, shish kebab, pilaf, taboule, hummos, the works. It was delicious as always and the whole family enjoyed it. Soon it was time to open presents. While my cousins and I were opening our gifts, my uncle told us how in Armenia the children open their gifts on New Years Eve. I found this to be sort of strange, but we were getting too excited to really pay attention to what he was saying. Then on New Years Eve my family and I had gone with some of our family friends to the Hyatt hotel and rented a hall. It was really fun! While I was sitting and talking with my friends we started talking again about some of my friends family in Armenia who are opening their presents right now! I still did not understand why! Before I had a chance to get an answer to my question, everyone started to get up and dance!
Now,can anyone answer my question?

2 comments:

  1. Well Ani, In Armenia we don't celebrate Christmas (the 25), but instead we celebrate the 31.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a strange thing to do i unfortunately don't know why they open it but i remember my family used to hide some of the presents to open on new years, these were not as big as the ones on christmas but we still had gifts to open on both days. Which I found more reasonable because it keeps your mind on the true meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete